IEEE 1588 Integrated GNSS Grandmaster for Outdoor Installations
Building materials, low GNSS signal strength or other constraints sometimes interfere with indoor small cell synchronization using GNSS PTP grandmaster timing systems. Solving this challenge is Microsemi’s outdoor integrated grandmaster, the IGM-1100o. Like the indoor version, this compact IGM grandmaster delivers precise time indoors to serve indoor small cells. However, IGM-1100o is ruggedized to support a wider temperature range, so that it can be installed on a building rooftop, instead of an interior wall or ceiling.
This integrated grandmaster can also be used in environments such as outdoor cabinets and huts where temperature range constraints and environmental ruggedness are key requirements. As a result, Microsemi’s outdoor grandmaster can serve eNodeBs from the very edge of the mobile network with very few hops to the node.
Being installed outdoors where GNSS reception is optimal, Microsemi’s outdoor IGM does not need assisted GNSS. In urban canyons or other settings where GPS reception is problematic, however, the IGM-1100o can leverage assisted GNSS. Use of Power over Ethernet (PoE) further simplifies installation of the outdoor IGM. Once installed on the roof and network-connected with PoE, Microsemi’s integrated grandmaster automatically self-configures via TR-069, locks on to GNSS signals and begins PTP grandmaster operations, precluding the need for on-premise user configuration.
Using the same software across the IGM grandmaster family, mobile operators can facilitate densification with enhanced management options, more reliability through GPS backup, greater scalability with IPv6 and increased client support.
- Reduced installation costs and simplified cabling
- Plug-and-play features reducing deployment time and cost
- Ruggedized temperature support, capable of providing precise time in environmentally challenged settings
- Best-in-class synchronization solution for indoor small cell operations
Integrated GNSS Grandmaster (IGM 1100o) Features
- Small form factor with single 1 GbE RJ45 port
- Supported Precision Time Protocol (PTP) Profiles: ITU-T G.8265.1 (L3 unicast), ITU-T G.8275.1 (L2 multicast), ITU-T G8275.2 (L3 Unicast), Telecom 2008 & Ethernet default
- One-step and two-step clock
- Synchronous Ethernet (SyncE) input, output
- Unique ability to provide GPS backup by accepting PTP input
- Increased client count from 16 to 32
- Primary Reference Time Clock (PRTC) compliant
- IPv6 support for 1588 traffic
- 802.1Q VLANs
- Integrated GNSS receiver
- GPS, GLONASS, Beidou, SBAS, and Galileo-ready
- Cable compensation to address GPS cable lengt